Nonimmigrant Classifications – E-1 and E-2 Visas


Definition and General Information:


These two types of visas were created for aliens who desire to come to the United States in order to carry on a trade (“treaty trader” or E-1) or develop an enterprise (“treaty investor” or E-2). These individuals are allowed to come to the United States pursuant to a treaty of commerce that exists between the United States and their country. Individuals coming under an E-1 or E-2 visa are not required to file a petition with the USCIS before an application can be made with the U.S. consulate abroad.

E-1 and E-2 visas are granted to both the principal trader or investor and his/her spouse and children. As a treaty trader or treaty investor, you are permitted to remain in the United States for a period of two years. This stay may be extended beyond the initial time period in two-year increments as long as the alien continues working in the same capacity under which the visa was granted.

CONTACT US AT 866.987.3646